National Gay Basketball Association
Strive, Thrive, and Change Lives
The National Gay Basketball Association (NGBA) and Women’s National Gay Basketball Association (WNGBA) are committed to fostering an inclusive and welcoming environment for all individuals, regardless of their gender identity. This Trans Inclusion Policy outlines the NGBA and WNGBA’s stance on the inclusion of transgender athletes in our tournaments and emphasizes our commitment to promoting diversity and respect within the basketball community.
- Gender Identity Affirmation:
- The NGBA and WNGBA recognize and respect an individual’s self-identified gender identity. We affirm that transgender athletes have the right to play in accordance with their gender identity.
- Inclusive Divisions:
- Transgender Females: Transgender females are welcome to participate in both the Women’s+ division and the All Gender division based on their personal preference and comfort level.
- Transgender Males:
- Transgender males are welcome to participate in the All Gender tournaments
- Non-binary and Gender-Expansive Individuals:
- Individuals who do not identify as female are encouraged and welcome to participate in All Gender tournaments.
- Privacy and Confidentiality:
- he NGBA and WNGBA respect the privacy and confidentiality of all participants regarding their gender identity. We will not request or disclose personal information regarding a participant’s gender identity unless necessary for the purposes of verifying eligibility in a specific division or tournament.
- The NGBA and WNGBA are committed to creating a tournament environment that is free from discrimination, harassment, or bias based on gender identity. Any form of discrimination or harassment against athletes will not be tolerated and may result in disciplinary actions against the offending party.
- Eligibility and Documentation:
- In order to participate in NGBA and WNGBA tournaments, athletes may be required to provide documentation or self-identification of their gender identity, if necessary for tournament organization and division placement. Such documentation will be kept confidential and used solely for eligibility purposes.
- Education and Sensitivity:
- The NGBA and WNGBA will provide education and sensitivity training for tournament organizers, officials, coaches, and players to raise awareness and understanding of gender diversity and inclusion.
- Reporting and Grievance Procedure:
- Participants who experience or witness any form of discrimination or harassment related to gender identity are encouraged to report the incident to the tournament organizers. The NGBA and WNGBA will have a clear and accessible grievance procedure in place to address and rectify such incidents promptly and fairly.
- Ongoing Review:
- The NGBA and WNGBA will periodically review and update this Trans Inclusion Policy to ensure its alignment with evolving best practices and societal norms.
The NGBA and WNGBA are committed to creating an inclusive and respectful basketball community that values and welcomes all gender identities. This Trans Inclusion Policy reflects our dedication to promoting diversity and equity within our tournaments while providing a safe and enjoyable experience for all participants. We invite all athletes, spectators and, fans regardless of their gender identity, to join us in the spirit of competition, camaraderie, and respect.