This is the 25th and final Coady Roundball Classic. The Tournament was started by Sam Coady Windy City Hoops Classic as the National Gay Basketball Championships. 15 Years later the touranament was handed over to Ted Cappas, who decided to name the tournament after the founder COady Roundball Classic. Steve Waldron was then put in charge of the tournament and will be the last tournament director of the event.
Modified Game Play Rules
* Referees will not touch the ball in the back court following a violation. This means you must drop the ball when you commit a violation, traveling, offensive foul etc.
* The referee will stop play for substitutions only when sub is at the scorer’s table. A separate chair near scorers table will be for substitute (s).
* Defensive team can only substitute in the backcourt when the team in control of the ball substitutes (make clear with Scorekeeper)
* Referees will hold ball for free throws and front court violations as to not give offensive team and unfair advantage.
* In the last 2 minutes of regulation in 2ndhalf, the clock will stop on a violation and/or foul unless one team is winning by 12 or more points.
Timing of Games
* Two twenty (20) minute halves
* Continuously running clock except for:
* Timeouts called by either team or the referees (30 second time outs)
* Stoppage of play due to injury
* Game Clock will stop in the last 2 min of 2nd half if a team is trailing by 12 points or less.
* Overtime periods: Overtime periods will be for a total of three (3) minutes with a continuously running clock except for the last one (1) minute of the period.
* Each team will be allocated two timeouts per half with no carry over.
* Time-outs may be used at any time during the game.
* One time out will be allocated for each overtime period.
* teams may advance the ball to mid court after a timeout in the last two minutes of regulation and last minute of any overtime periodsFouls
* A player who obtains his/her SIXTH (6th) foul during the course of the game will be eliminated from further play during that game.
* All technical fouls will count as a personal foul.
* Two technical fouls in one game will disqualify a player, coach or bench personnel for the remainder of the tournament
• The Number of players allowed to line up for Free Throws shall be as follows: 5 total - 2 offensive, 3 defensive.
* 1 plus 1 bonus free throw shots will be awarded when a team is assessed its 7th and two (2) free throws on the tenth (10) subsequent team fouls. (Team fouls will include all personal and technical fouls)
* One (1) free throw will be awarded for all technical fouls. The game will continue from the point of interruption.
Goaltending / Illegal Touching of Ball above the Rim
* Basket Interference: Touching Ball on/Above the Ring: It is illegal to touch the ball while it is on the ring. It is illegal to touch the basket, backboard or support while the ball is on the ring.
* Goaltending: It is illegal to touch the ball in its downward flight on a shot. The ball is considered on its downward flight once it has hit the backboard.
Turnovers and Common Fouls:
• The referees DO NOT touch or “check” the basketball on all turnovers and non shooting fouls in the backcourt – Unless team with ball has a sub. Referees must check the basketball for all turnovers and common fouls in the frontcourt. On fouls in the backcourt players must allow time for the referee to report foul before throwing the ball inbounds
Technical Fouls, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, Ejections
* Technical Fouls will be assessed for the following:
* Dunking during warm-up periods (Dunks are allowed during games)
* Flagrant fouls
* Abusive language or unsportsmanlike conduct towards a referee, tournament official or opposing team member.
* Slamming the ball or throwing other equipment
* Ejection from the game will result from the following:
* Two technical fouls assessed during the game. (ejection from a games = ejection from tournament at committee discretion)
* Fighting .
* Ejection from the tournament will result from fighting (at the discretion of the tournament committee).
* All teams must be at their designated court twenty (20) minutes prior to scheduled game time. Games will start 5 minutes immediately following the conclusion of the previous game, even if that is earlier than the scheduled game time.
* Forfeits for delay in a team’s arrival at a court for a scheduled game will jointly decided by the game official and Tournament Director; however no game will start more than 10 minutes after the conclusion of the prior scheduled game.
* Teams must have a minimum of five (5) players to begin a game. Any game can not continue with less than four (4) players.
Miscellaneous Rules and Regulations of note
* Three-Point Field Goal Distance: 19' 9" (NCAA).
* Back Court Violation: This occurs after 10 seconds. If the ball goes out-of-bounds, the 10 second count resets.
* Ball can be advanced to half-court upon time-out in the last 2 minutes of the 2nd half and last minute of any overtime period.
*Possession: There will be NO jump balls. "Arrow of possession" will be in operation. There will be a jump ball to start the game and to start any overtime periods
* Team rosters are limited to 10 persons.
* The clock will stop on all made baskets in the last minute of the 2nd half and last minute of any overtime periods.